There is a situation that occasionally arises in GDSE that is captured perfectly with two current questions:
- Detecting a ledge in Box2D 2d box2d 2d-physics platformer
- Detect Open Space in Farseer xna farseer-physics-engine
Here's the situation:
- Both are asking the same basic thing: "I have a ledge. I need to detect when my player has reached that ledge, so my player can hang onto it / pull themselves up."
- Both questions have the same basic answer: have a sensor upon the player to detect a collision with a wall, and have one sensor above to detect if there's empty space to ensure it's a ledge. This solution is engine-agnostic.
- For whatever reason, the more recent one isn't closed as an exact duplicate - maybe because they cover different engines.
In this case, we should only have one question attached to no particular physics engine:
- How do I detect ledges? physics
How should we make it so?
There's no precedent for this as far as I'm aware.
Do I edit the earlier Farseer question to be engine-agnostic? That would seem like it would be hijacking the question, but it would still be helpful to the original asker.
Do I create a new self-answered question and request to have both closed as a duplicate of the more recent one?