Many questions currently on the site are things like "Give me a list of options for X".
There is a decent amount of precedence for these kinds of questions being discouraged on StackExchange sites. For example, on Meta SE: "Should we have a “List of X” close reason?" and on the Gaming Meta: "Best/favourite/subjective list type questions".
Specifically on StackOverflow, there used to be precedence for older, popular questions to be grandfathered in as long as they were community wikis (ostensibly to prevent rep farming), but apparently now all those questions are closed.
There also seems to be some precedence on SuperUser to require "recommendation" type questions to be tagged as
software-rec. There's some discussion on Web Applications to consider following a similar paradigm.
Just on the front page, here are some examples of what I'm talking about:
- Tools for creating 2d tile based maps
- Easy to use cross-platform 3D engines for C++ game development?
- Where can I find good (well organized) examples of game code?
- Recommended 2D Game Engine for prototyping (and other "what engine" type questions
- What are your favourite game-specific coding gems?
- Where can I find free music for my game? (and other "where can I find..." type questions)
- (and for balance, one of mine) What was the funniest development bug you’ve seen?
I could list more but got tired of copying and pasting the title and the link for every example.
What should our stance on this site be for these kinds of questions? What moderator actions (if any) should be taken on them? I'm not fully familiar with all the discussions, so I'm not going to list out pros and cons myself. I'll leave that to the answers.